[TowerTalk] Hardware Question

Bob Maser bmaser at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Dec 28 13:08:09 EST 2003

Hi Doug,  Your tower question brings back memories.  I had (actually a
fellow ham in the Rochester, NY area owned the tower and I put it up at my
location) a 70' Aermotor tower.  I put it up and took it down 3 different
times.  To facilitate putting it up you need a special tool to help stretch
the soft metal diagonals onto the protruding bolt.  If you need a further
description of the tool, call me at 813-643-3034.  I am in the Tampa, FL
area.

As for taking an Aermotor tower down, 2 people can do the task in about 4
hours.  Just start at the top and dismantle going down.  We found that only
the top most vertical sections have to be lowered with a rope and pulley.
They are kind of bent in the top 30% and are slightly longer than the rest
of the vertical sections.  Once they are down, just remove parts and let
them fall.  This is the way we did it and we never damaged anything.  It
helps to have a pry bar to pry the diagonals off.  Try to keep the diagonal
wires in order for ease of putting the tower back up.

Good luck,

Bob Maser  W6TR