[TowerTalk] Rotor replacement

Barry w2up at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 29 19:49:58 EST 2003

On 29 Dec 2003 Mark Beckwith wrote:

> >Carrying a T2X in a backpack up and
> >down the tower is very tiring
>
> No scientific data here to back me up, just a gut feeling:
>
> My guess is most people will take a rotator up the tower with them
> exactly one time.  I think a rotator looks like something about which
> you would say at the bottom of the tower "that doesn't look so bad"
> and about which, when you got to the top of the tower you'd say "I
> don't think I'll make that mistake again."
>
> That is certainly the way it went with me.  I replaced my first
> rotator by taking the motor up while climbing.  From that point
> forward I have always used a line and brought it up after I have
> arrived at the top.  Even if I'm working alone, it is much easier to
> pre-tie the rotator and take the other end of the rope on the climb.
>
> Has anybody else noticed that they seem to get heavier the higher you
> get?
>
> Mark, N5OT

In my case, it felt heavy from the start.  I put the backpack on in
the garage and walked about 200 ft to the tower base, thinking to
myself, "hey, this thing is pretty heavy."  Besides the rotor, inside
it was a complete ratchet set (next time, I'll just take the handle
and a few heads - that's heavy too), a few combo wrenches and other
odds and ends.  I thought about leaving the rotor on the ground and
hauling it up once I got up there, but it was a bit breezy and I
didn't want it banging into the tower on the way up.

On day 2, when I went back up to do the wiring, all I carried were a
few tools and a can of Sctochkote. Much better!

My thighs are still a bit sore, but maybe playing tennis yesterday
and today, for the first time in over a month, had something to do
with it too.  Maybe I won't be sore after my first ski day of the
season next week...
Barry, W2UP
Barry Kutner, W2UP              Internet: w2up at mindspring.com