[TowerTalk] Hardware Question

Mahlon Haunschild mahlonhaunschild at cox.net
Mon Dec 29 21:46:24 EST 2003

Tom,

Wussy irons like you describe will do what you describe:  melt the cable
without making a good solder connection to the connector.  I used to use
a Weller 200/240-watt soldering gun for PL-259 shells, but not even that
beast put out enough heat.  These days I use a butane mini-torch.  Much
lighter and therefore easier to control.

More heat is better than less in this case, at least in my experience.
The idea is to get the "hole area" of the connector hot enough quickly
enough so that you can solder the braid to the connector shell quickly
enough that the jacket/dielectric (esp. foam dielectric) doesn't have
enough time to melt.  Use a mini-vise to hold the cable to position the
connector so you can solder two holes with one set-up.

OK, you caught me at a weak moment:  here follows my mystical PL-259
installation procedure, developed painstakingly over a LONG period of
time:   Strip jacket/braid/dielectric CORRECTLY.  Flux the braid with a
small amount of GOOD flux (not that Rat Shack crap; I use strain gauge
flux).  Tin the braid with a soldering iron; use only enough solder to
do the job, excess will prevent installation of the connector.  Cool the
cable/braid w/damp rag.  Double-check the end to ensure that no stray
braid strands are where they shouldn't be.  Flux the braid again.  Screw
connector onto cable.  Place connector into vise with the cable wound up
1/2 turn.  Heat w/torch and solder holes 1 & 2.  Release vise; the cable
will by itself position for holes 3 & 4.  Heat w/torch and solder holes
3 and 4.  IMMEDIATELY quench the connector with the damp rag.

Using this method, I have not had a connector failure in something like
18 years.

5 cents, please.  I accept PayPal.

Oh, by the way: results not guaranteed on vinyl cable jackets (but
surely you don't have any of that, do you?).

regards,

Mahlon - K4OQ