[TowerTalk] coax cables

Paul Playford w8aef at worldnet.att.net
Sat Feb 1 21:56:33 EST 2003

Actually, if you tin the coax braid after you strip the outer jacket but
before you trim it, then use a small copper tubing cutter to cut the braid,
assembly and soldering PL-259's are easy.  Just use a small torch, paint
stripping heat gun, or a big iron to heat the outer conductor of the PL-259
and feed solder into the holes to complete the connection.  After I remove
the excess (tinned) braid, I trim the dialectric about 1/8" beyond the end
of the braid and tin the center conductor also before assembly.

This is easier done than said.

Or, you may consider a crimp tool and crimp connectors.  Sorry, I cannot
remember where I obtained mine but it cost about $50.  MIL spec crimp tools
are several hundred $$.  The crimp connectors are hard to find but are
available.

de Paul, W8AEF