[TowerTalk] Re: [CQ-Contest] coax cables

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ab.ca
Sat Feb 1 20:39:14 EST 2003

>I hate
>soldering pl-259's and expect to need a dozen or more cables made for
>various upgrades planned for this summer.

Do what I did 10 years ago: switch to type N connectors everywhere. They
install with a pair of pliers and a 5/8 in. wrench[1], and have a better
moisture seal and lower insertion loss than "UHF" connectors.

Of course, some idiot just *had* to come up with a solder-on version of
the N connector.  Do not let anyone try to sell you one of those.

N connectors cost more than UHF connectors, but the extra buck or so is
well worth the saving in assembly time, and you get a better performing
connection as well.

--lyndon

[1] Yes, you still have to solder the center conductor to the center pin
    on the connector. But, since the pin is seperate from the connector
    body, you can do this before assembling the connector housing onto
    the cable; it's really a no-brainer. And you can do N connector
    replacements at the top of the tower without completely losing
    your sanity (and fingers).