[CQ-Contest] RE: [TowerTalk] coax cables

j.a.hermans j.a.hermans at skynet.be
Wed Feb 5 09:18:26 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Katz" <stevek at jmr.com>
To: <discreetly_confidential at yahoo.com>; <towertalk at contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 9:51 PM
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] RE: [TowerTalk] coax cables

> Hi Chuck,
>
> I don't know who Paul is (my name is Steve) but I think this was
> directed towards me.
>
> I agree with you.  Any time I see someone using a soldering "gun"
> for a PL-259 installation, I cringe.

I agree.
Assembling and soldering a PL should'nt be done elswhere then in a workshop,
with adapted tools. A few hundreds one after an other in the ideal
conditions is OK.
It's a very critical operation if you dont want cold solder which break at
the first occasion, or burned joints which have a transfert resistance of a
few  M ohms
.........Soldering guns !!!!!!!! throw them away, you will be unable to
control the right temperature.
Use a N type, sure you will have better results for years.
By the way, nowadays one can find PL to be mounted as N-type. ( at least in
Germany ).
Have been in charge of ANGRC and other military production  for a couple of
years in the late fiftees.......

Jos on4kj