[TowerTalk] Coax cables

Steve Katz stevek at jmr.com
Thu Feb 6 08:46:50 EST 2003

>  I'd
> > toss those and get silver-plated connectors, which
> > solder very quickly and
> > easily without any rework.
> >
> > WB2WIK/6
>
> The silver ones corrode like a SOB once taken out of
> the bag though.
>
> Blake N4GI

	[Steve Katz]  Hi Blake, funny you should say that.  I use hundreds
of the silver plated PL-259s annually and have never, ever seen one
"corrode."  They do oxidize and slowly tarnish (turning from shiny white
silver color to kind of a tan or gray patina), which does no harm to
anything, including the connectors themselves.  Actually, silver oxide is
scrubbed off immediately by the flux in the solder, and I've found tarnished
connectors solder on exactly as quickly and easily as shiny ones.  If you
have silver-plated PL-259's that actually "corroded," I'd sure be interested
to see one, and see what happened to it.  (And maybe also see who made it,
and do a material analysis to see if it's really silver.)  -WB2WIK/6