[TowerTalk] Tips

Lew lew at teleport.com
Mon Feb 10 11:38:21 EST 2003

Great idea Steve!!
    1) After finishing up pouring the concrete base for a tower and
scratching in my XYL and my initials with a heart around them,
(insurance) I then use a length of  1"-1 1/2" OD pipe to make an
indentation starting from the center of the pad out to the periphery
which is aimed North. If the periphery part of the indentation is
actually lower then the center, then rainwater will run away from the
base, and you'll be able to see where north really is when you're up on
the tower trying to realign a slipped antenna

    2)  When you've destroyed a crankup tower and lifted it off the base
to replace it, always set it down at least 30 yards from the base, no
closer. That action will allow room to put up the new tower, provide a
place to sit and survey the situation pondering the current pickle
you're in and serve as a constant reminder not to make the same mistake
with the new tower until you get the dead tower cannibalized. Speaking
of which, absolutely no Cannabis, alcohol or any mind altering
substances should be employed prior to climbing unless you're heavily
insured and you won't mind leaving a rich widow

    3) Either take pictures from the very top of the tower in all 4
directions or place a small weather station up there. The family members
will be slightly more tolerant of your tower erecting tendencies and
will tell their friends of just what the wind speed was when it blew the
device off of the tower. Makes the tower more "multi-purpose" that way.

    4) Go to the bathroom before you go up the tower.

   73 and I remain,
     Lew   W7EW/W7AT