[TowerTalk] Rohn SSV specs

Bryan Fields kb9mci at qsl.net
Fri Feb 14 14:35:42 EST 2003

On Friday 14 February 2003 13:07, K7LXC at aol.com wrote:
>     In the case of a guyed tower, the tower loading spec is for the WHOLE
> tower so you can populate the tower whereever you want. Rohn specs have
> already deducted 8 sq.ft. for antenna mounts so you can add that back into
> the capacity on the chart.

Thanks for this piece of info, I did not realize this.

>     The same height with a guyed tower will be cheaper. The guys don't have
> to be out 80% of the height (that's just the distance Rohn chose for the
> catalog specs) so you can put them closer to the tower - just make sure you
> have an engineer run the calcs to insure a safe and reliable installation.

The 55g @160' has 23.3 feet of windload, but the SSV only can suppot 8.3 feet.
The 55g is all most half as much money for twice the load!  Knowing we don't
have to guy to 80% might make this work.  I think we might have enough room
to guy out to 50%-60% of the tower length.

Better to have somthing over engineered for the the job than have it fall down
with me on it!

--
Bryan Fields, KB9MCI