[TowerTalk] Relays

Jir(í Šanda jirka at jimaz.cz
Tue Feb 25 18:45:56 EST 2003

Hi Mikael,

you have two problems:

1. - the smaller one - the relay should handle about 7-10A
2. - THE MUCH bigger one - the relay should also be capable of
transfering 0.3 microVolt/50 Ohm - i.e. 0.006 microA . If you start to
play with this you find that this is THE PROBLEM. Most of the switches
work fine while on TX but you might be deaf on RX without knowing  - you
might have 10-30dB atenuation and how to find out, it might be easily
just the propagation. Just check up WX0B advice on all his gear. "Hot
switch time to time and the oxide on contacts and might burn out" !?!?

The best are vacuum realays even more expensive than the coaxial ones.

Only usable contact material plating is GOLD, but unfortunately most of
the relays capable of the power are silver or paladium plated according
to my experience very bad, just look to the cathalogues of OMRON,
MATSUSHITA etc.. what small signal each relay guarantees.......

Definitely if the relay is open frame and is silver plated you are going
to watch problems caused by oxidation thin noncoductive layer will broke
down while on TX so you will not observe any SWR deterioration , while
on RX it will be there and you will be listening just through the
capacity of the contacts and insulating layer ! You can expect the Oxide
layer to withtad up to hundreds of mV to couple of Volts than it brakes.
 I have observed this phenomenon many many times and until we (me +
OK1RF) get of rid of most realys in the way. This phenomenon caused me
definitelvely a couple dozens of  decicive QSOs in various contest
during passed years.

This mail is not an advice what to do  - it is just what to watch !!!

73 !

Jiri
OK1RI