[TowerTalk] help me make a decision

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Thu Feb 27 17:09:13 EST 2003

At 05:36 PM 2/27/03 -0400, Carl Smidt wrote:
>Go for the SteppIR at 70 feet and it will out do your large tri-bander at
>100 feet, no contest.

Whoah there.  There are way too many variables in the equation to make such
a categorical statement. Take-off angle, target area, band, all need to be
taken into account.  The SteppIR at 70 feet will make a fine WARC antenna,
no doubt, as would the T-10.  The big tribander at 100 ft (KT-36XA, Bruce?)
will beat it into Europe from Arizona most of the time, though.

I guess I'd be a little concerned if I was running a fussy amp into the
T-10, because there are frequencies where its SWR is relatively high.  On
the other hand, I don't think anyone yet knows enough about the long-term
durability of the SteppIR in high sun, high-temperature environments like
Bruce's.  I dunno if Bruce is thinking of it also as a second radio antenna
for contesting, in which case the retune time *might* be an issue.

73, Pete N4ZR

The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 23 Feb 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm