[Towertalk] Knots for Guys

Jerry Keller k3bz@arrl.net
Mon, 06 Jan 2003 00:37:45 -0500

There was a lot of discussion recently about knots, particularly the bowline
for making loops and using when the knot would remain under tension. I want
to use Phillystran to guy a 40 foot aluminum tower that I bought, and I'm
wondering if I can use bowline knots to secure the line around the thimbles.
I would definitely secure the line ends to the main line (maybe tape them?)
and the guys would be under constant tension so the bowlines shouldn't slip.

Secondly, with Phillystran, would I still include a turnbuckle in each guy
to allow for adjustment, tightening, etc?

Last, would I have to use an aluminum thimble at the tower so it would not
be disimilar metals?

Advice appreciated.... Jerry