[Towertalk] Disassembly and Reassembly of rotors

Cqtestk4xs@aol.com Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 08:19:17 EST

W9OL made some of the same points I did to Martin (in a private post) about
disassembly of a tailtwister.  There is one other thing that is easy to do
when reassmbing any rotor that he didn't mention.  Put some lithium grease or
Noalox  in the hole the bolt goes into.  Maybe it's just a Florida thing, but
I have found  that glavanic action sometimes 'cements' the bolt into the bolt
hole on the bottom of Tailtwisters and Ham 4 rotors where the tower mounts to
the rotor   Getting these out without busting the bolts off at the base is a
real pain. The lithium application applies not only to the mount holes at the
bottom but also the bolt holes that are on the side of the rotor which hold
the rotor together.

Over the years I have not had one case of 'cementing' in the rotors after
this treatment.  And no, I have not had a problem with the bolts falling out.
 I just tighten to common sense tightness with a lockwasher.

I hope this helps.  I wish I had found this out twenty years ago.

Bill K4XS