[Towertalk] Efficiency of antennas

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Thu Jan 23 17:45:58 EST 2003

I've seen some fairly interesting claims recently for the efficiency of
yagis with coil loading.  I'm not quite sure what efficiency means in this
context -- is it simply the percentage of the driving power that is
actually available to be coupled to what we used to call the ether?  If so,
is it just another way of expressing the amount of loss in loading
coils?  If an antenna manufacturer claims 90 percent efficiency, is that
just another way of saying that 1/10 of the applied power is being
dissipated in heat?

73, Pete N4ZR