[TowerTalk] static drainage

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Mon Jan 27 11:01:52 EST 2003

At 09:00 AM 1/27/03 -0600, Jon Ogden wrote:
>Agreed.  With such protectors (ICE and Polyphaser both have DC grounded
>models) there is no need for any other form of static drain.  Plus, I've
>been told that with continuous static drain, it makes your receive quieter
>as you aren't hearing any noise from static build up.

On the other hand, I have consciously opted for the "disconnect everything"
method of lightning protection.  Given that, couldn't I simply shunt an RF
choke to ground inside the relay box at its output jack, so that any time
an antenna is connected by relay, any static goes immediately to ground
before it gets upstream to the radio?  For that matter, as long as I am
using my amplifier, which has an RF safety choke to ground, don't I get
equivalent protection?

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database has just been updated.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm