[TowerTalk] MA5V Vertical question

Jim Harris jimsportal at netscape.net
Tue Jan 28 19:35:08 EST 2003

I put up the same antenna about a month ago.  The hardware on mine was
in fine shape......no problems at all.  The balun is just as you
mentioned imho.  The radials in my estimation are too small and the
balun is to keep RF from coming back down the coax shield.  Looks to me
like the coax for the balun was of okay quality.

The big problem I had was that the band width on 20 & 12 meters is
skewed towards towards the lower part of the band and there are no
adjustment procedures.  Have to use a tuner on the upper part of the
band.  Looks like just shorten the studs on the ends of the coils to
raise the center of the bandwidth.  Not a clue anywhere as to how much
to shorten them.  Know where I can get a mfj-259 cheap.  Hi!

It does play a bit better than a carolina windom I've had up a
while....and, seem liek it does DX much better.

Jim

http://shopnow.netscape.com/