[TowerTalk] Prosistel Rotors

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Wed Jan 29 10:47:55 EST 2003

In a message dated 1/29/03 4:49:16 AM Pacific Standard Time,
n4zr at contesting.com writes:

>  The K-factor they use to rate
>  them is VERY protective of the hardware,

    First, the K-Factor (and Hy-Gain's Effective Moment) are both ESTIMATES
of rotator capacity.

>  because it pretends that the whole weight of the antenna is at the turning
radius.

    You lost me. The turning radius is a distance measurement so at what
point on the turning radius would the weight be?

    The K-Factor (weight times turning radius) is a more realistic way to
rate a rotator than the old antenna square footage method since it takes the
footprint of an antenna into account; it could take more rotator torque to
turn a small, heavy antenna than one that is big and light.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH