[TowerTalk] Ground Rods

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Mon Jul 7 20:45:18 EDT 2003

I am with State Farms. I have had a few claims in the 10 years I have been with them (one flooding, 2 hurricanes, one lightning and not one, but 2 fires, you can say I am a bad case). They have been absolutely top notch. Their policy is full replacement value. That means buy new to replace old stuff, including labor. Here are a couple of examples.

1) Lightning: lighting on a tree in the yard did extensive damage in the house, as the tree had grown over the underground power, telephone and cable TV cables and that's how the energy got inside the house. Total claim: about $7,000. Part of that was an older Sony cassette deck I had. It was almost 20 years old, but it was at the time I bought it (in France when I was in college) a top of the line model, with 3 heads. The only 3 head Sony deck at the time of the claim was a $1,000 TC3KS Excellence Series. State Farms bought it without discussion. I would have considered myself lucky if they had given me $250 for it.

2) Hurricane: My R7 antenna was (very slightly) damaged by one of the hurricane (part of about $5,000 of claim at the time) due to flying debris (40m capacitive hat was bent). By the time the adjuster showed up, I had already taken the antenna down and straigtened the capacitive hat myself and put it back up so it looked fine, but I told the adjuster what I had done. He gave me 2 hours of labor for that (I don't remember how much money that was, but it was more than fair).

Definitely, in my dealings with them, it is certain that they cover the costs necessary to restore the property to the condition prior to the loss, including professional labor when necessary. They do not depreciate anything.

I have no vested interest in State Farms other than I would like them to stay in business, but I can only recommend them.

YMMV

Didier/KO4BB

 w7xu w7xu at iw.net
Thu Jul 3 05:35:59 EDT 2003

  a.. Previous message: [TowerTalk] Ground Rods
  b.. Next message: [TowerTalk] Reminder - Deadline for Comments on Broadband Over Powerline NOI
  c.. Messages sorted by: [ date ] [ thread ] [ subject ] [ author ]

Assume your antennas and towers were destroyed by a tornado (as mine
were last week).  Would you expect your insurance company to pay only
for the replacement costs of what you lost, or would you expect them
to also pay for the towers and antennas to be erected by a commercial
tower company?  We're talking about a lot of work (3 towers over 130
ft., plus 2 others damaged and 44 antennas destroyed.  Negotiations
with my insurance company are in progress.

Thanks.

Arliss  W7XU