[TowerTalk] SS "U" bolts

kk9a at arrl.net kk9a at arrl.net
Fri Jul 18 19:54:15 EDT 2003

I am currently building several antennas which will be installed in a
corrosive environment and I'm looking for bolts to clamp the boom to the
mast.  DX Engineering sells SS "U" bolts along with an aluminum saddle.  I
normally use 4 mast and 4 boom clamps when using 3/8 dia steel "U" bolts,
however DX Engineering seems to recommend 8 boom and 5 mast clamps when
using their 5/16 dia "U" bolts.  I believe that stainless steel has less
tensile strength than steel and also using a reduced diameter concerns me.
Are there any better sources SS "U" bolts that fit 2 1/2" and 3" O.D.
tubing.  I'd also like to hear comments from anyone using the DX Engineering
bolts.

73,
John