[TowerTalk] Strange damage

kk9a at arrl.net kk9a at arrl.net
Wed Jul 23 21:43:18 EDT 2003

David Klein from Metal-Cable http://www.metal-cable.com  sells 6061-T6
tubing and has a small minimum order.

----- Original Message -----
From: "David L. Thompson" <thompson at mindspring.com>
To: <towertalk at contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 19:21
Subject: [TowerTalk] Strange damage

A wind storm yesterday damaged my KT34XA.  The front director has been
turned on the mast (the boom to element clamp is sideways) and one side is
OK although about 10 degrees out of line same as the clamp.  The other side
of the element is bent about 2 feet out from the boom at about 50 degrees.
The only other problem I note is the extra parasitic director for 10 is
turned slightly from horizontal.

The wind moment on the director must have been strong to actually bend the
center aluminum
tubing and move the clamp as it did.

I looked on the M2 web page as I will need one piece of aluminum tubing but
they seem to be interested in selling the upgrade and I don't feel inclined
to go through fussing with the capacitor caps again.   I know Texas Towers
sells aluminum and am looking for other sources.  Local suppliers such as
Tull or Tube Sales have a several hundred dollar minimum.

Suggestions on finding the tube via e-mail to me at thompson at mindspring.com.
I will give a summary as I am sure others are interested.

73 Dave K4JRB