[TowerTalk] Help, I thought I was out of the woods

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 28 22:44:53 EDT 2003

The OTARD (over the air reception device) rules were enlarged a bit last
year to include devices that transmit as well as receive, for the purposes
of wireless internet connectivity.  The original OTARD rules were for
receiving only, but the wireless broadband industry (and the satellite
broadband, which has kind of gone away) pushed for the extension to allow
transmitting antennas as well as receiving. Amateur and CB were specifically
excluded in the footnotes, by the way.  The term you're really looking for
is MMDS -Microwave Multipoint Distribution System.

On the other hand, an antenna "designed to receive broadcast TV signals" has
no size limit, so that 80 meter log periodic with a trapped element to work
on 6 meters might meet the letter of the rule.