[TowerTalk] None

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 faunt at panix.com
Tue Jul 29 02:45:45 EDT 2003

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Insulated Wire
FCC: ~/sent_mail/sent_mail
--text follows this line--
Maybe, use an antenna analyser to actually measure the velocity factor?
You can do it with coax, but I don't know exactly how you'd do it with
a plain piece of wire.

73, doug

   From: "Roger Parsons" <ve3zi at hotmail.com>
   Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:53:01 +0000

   I am building a wire array using insulated wire (copper clad steel +
   jacket). The insulation will change the velocity factor of the wire and
   therefore change the required lengths of the elements. EZNEC does not have
   an option to calculate the actual lengths required, and I am wondering if
   there is any way to do this? It will be very difficult (and expensive) to
   change the antenna once erected, and as the effect would be primarily on the
   array pattern rather than the feed SWR it would be hard to 'tweak'.

   I have seen suggestions that wires should be 3% shorter or 5% shorter but
   then cut and try - that is a lot of difference!

   Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

   73 Roger
   VE3ZI