[TowerTalk] Coaxial balanced line

Gene Bigham jbigham2 at kc.rr.com
Tue Jul 29 09:09:27 EDT 2003

Several years ago I put up a full size loop for 5 MHz and fed it with a pair of rg59u coaxes using the center of each coax to either leg of the loop.  The shields were tied together out at the antenna but left floating/unconnected at that point.  In the shack each coax center was tied to the balanced output of the tuner and the shields tied together to the case of the tuner.  Along the run of the twin-ax as I liked to call it I used nylon zips to keep the two parallel to each other.  I found this arrangement to provide a better signal to noise ratio on the loop than either twin lead or coax alone.  1kw was put through this line on several occasions with no ill effect and a lot of PSK31 was done at low power on 30 meter band.