[TowerTalk] Balanced Line using Coax ?

Chuck Counselman ccc at space.mit.edu
Tue Jul 29 13:55:18 EDT 2003

At 9:34 AM -0700 7/29/03, Jim Lux wrote:
>...Looking at loss as a dB/foot for the coax, you divide the power
>into two pieces of coax, so the absolute loss (in watts) will be
>half in each piece of coax, but you've got two coaxes, so the total
>loss is exactly the same....

No.  To deliver the _same_power_ as a single coaxial line, two
coaxial lines operating in "push-pull" deliver half the current at
twice the voltage.  At HF, virtually all of the loss is ohmic, and
the power dissipated per unit length of conductor is equal to I^2*R',
where I is the current in the conductor, I^2 is I squared, and R' is
the resistance per unit length of conductor.  With half the current,
the power dissipated per unit length of conductor is quartered; the
length of conductor is doubled; so the total power dissipated in the
pair of push-pull coaxial lines is one-half that dissipated in a
single coaxial line carrying the _same_power_.

-Chuck, W1HIS