[TowerTalk] Length of Mast

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Sun Jun 1 17:37:20 EDT 2003

At 03:28 PM 6/1/03 -0500, Jim Rhodes wrote:
>ears ago I heard W0UN's presentation at Dayton where he claimed that when
>a thunderstorm would move over his multi-tower setup in Colorado that the
>lightning would actually stop until the storm front would move beyond the
>antenna farm. The towers were heavily grounded as I recall, but I don't
>remember what else he did for lightning protection. I don't think he left
>much undone on that front. This would support the theory of lightning rods
>to prevent lightning strikes. And that is what I learned years ago in a
>college meteorology class.

I, too, remembered that from W0UN, whose engineering expertise I respect
mightily.  Yet the Polyphaser people go to great lengths in the "Grounds"
book to challenge the idea that anything can deter a lightning strike; in
their book (sic), the only thing you can do is to properly manage the
strike energy to avoid damage.  What to believe???

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 9 May 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm