[TowerTalk] Triex crankup limit switches?

Paul Playford w8aef at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jun 1 23:59:29 EDT 2003

The remote control up/down box on my LM470 is quite complicated, perhaps
beyond home brewing.  Among other things there are two time delay relays in
it that prevent rapid direction reversal.  This is rather important as I
have reversed direction on a.c. motors too rapidly and they just continue on
in the original (unwanted) direction.

If you just need the limit switches I suggest you get them from Karl as even
with the part numbers you may wind up with the wrong ones from a second
source.

I did have a smaller crank-up that had a home-brew motor and local switch
box.  No limit switches, you stood beside the tower and when it got close to
the mechanical limits you turned the switch off.  Rather dangerous as if it
did hit the mechanical limits you stressed the raising cables.  I adjusted
the drive belt tension and the clutch on the hub of the driven pulley while
turning the pulleys by hand so they would slip when the tower hit the
mechanical stops and I also disconnected the a.c. line when not in use.

I have the tilt-over fixture for my tower.  My tower is in a location that
precludes tilting it for antenna work so the only time my fixture will be
used is if/when I take the tower down (after the antennas are off).

de Paul, W8AEF