[TowerTalk] Source of 75 ohm twinlead?

Guy Olinger, K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 17 20:55:20 EDT 2003

We're up to three different confirmed sources now...

Have heard of the lamp cord trick. This will be used on 15 meters, so
the dielectric is really important.

I used 75 TL some years ago and I remember well how difficult it was
to dress and strip without nicking the conductors or creating a
flashover point. Zip cord does take care of the nasty stripping
issues. But also after a while, the little groove gets filled with
stuff and the characteristics really degrade when it's wet.

Easiest way to get the conductors free at the end is to melt the
plastic off the end with a torch Have a second pair of hands get the
wires with needle nose pliers in each hand. Pull the wires straight
apart as you melt the plastic just further enough to get the length of
free wire you need. Let it cool and strip what's left on the wire as
needed.

Do it outside so the fumes can blow away. Keep a hose handy. Easy to
set it on fire.

The stuff is light, and won't flutter destructively in the wind like
the ribbon/ladder lines. Also doesn't seem as affected by water on the
surface.

Just a pain to work with.

Thanks again, all. 73

Guy K2AV