[TowerTalk] Edible cable jackets

Dick Green dick.green at valley.net
Mon Jun 23 16:12:16 EDT 2003

Oh! That reminds me of something I'd almost forgotten: about six or seven
years ago I had my 1993 Audi 90 Quattro car in for service and they told me
mice had eaten through most of the engine wiring. The electronic ignition
harness was just hanging on by a single thread of copper and I was
incredibly lucky that it hadn't broken -- I would have been up the
proverbial creek without a paddle. The engine is almost completely covered
by a plastic cowling and the mice had decided to nest under it during the
winter, which gets very cold here in New Hampshire. I guess when I came home
at night they would wait for it to cool off a bit, then scurry in to spend
the night in warm comfort. They must have scurried out at daybreak, or
perhaps when I started the car (never noticed rats running away from the
car, but I wasn't looking for them!)

I'm still driving that car. Come to think of it, I haven't checked for mouse
damage in a while...

73, Dick WC1M