[TowerTalk] ferrites & fires

Chuck Counselman ccc at space.mit.edu
Sat Jun 28 17:21:26 EDT 2003

At 9:50 AM -0700 6/28/03, Jim Lux wrote:
>UF6 is hideous corrosive stuff....  You're thinking Sulfur
>Hexafluoride (SF6), very dense (1/2 pound/cu ft!), inert, good
>insulator for
>HV, but sadly, somewhat expensive and hard to get a hold of.  They
>use it in Gas Insulated Switchgear (GIS) where lack of flammability
>and packing
>density is needed (underground substations in cities, for instance).  They
>also use it in lab HV gear where close distances and HV are needed at the
>same time, and they don't want to fool with oil. I don't think it's much
>used for long distance cables, though.

You're right; I meant SF6.  A close friend, also a ham, developed
high-voltage (about 1 MV, IIRC), DC, gas-filled, underground
power-transmission lines -- first in the HV lab at MIT, then at two
big industrial firms in that business.  From time to time I visited
him in his lab.  It was great fun seeing his man-size toys.  His
transmission lines were filled with SF6.  It never occurred to me to
ask where he bought the stuff or what it cost.  He never made it
sound very special, or precious.

You can get _anything_ in Cambridge, MA.  :-)

73  -Chuck, W1HIS