[TowerTalk] VSWR & Power

realex realex at flash.net
Sat Mar 1 21:08:30 EST 2003

If one directly measures the voltage, current and associated phase angle (in
radians)
for the 3:1 mismatched line shown below (hard to do on a coax but easy on
twin line)
then, E x I x Cos Theta(rads)= 100 Watts...the applied power.  This is true
for all
points on the line.  Example: a 50 ohm line at least 1/2 wavelentgh long at
the
frequency of interest, terminated in a 3:1 mismatch with 100 watts applied
will have
E=77.80, I=2.06, and Theta(rad) = -.9 at some point on the line.
  77.80 x 2.06 x Cos(-.9) = 100 watts. ((ignoring resistive losses of the
line))

73, Bob, W5AH