[TowerTalk] DC motors in rotators

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 4 06:44:48 EST 2003

Maybe they just used a motor that can take the stall current forever? A
standard permanent magnet motor will typically have a stall current that is
around 3-4 times the nominal running current (although, for DC motors, there
is a lot of variabilty in design).. If you've designed the motor so that it
can dissipate 16 times the heat (I squared..) by using bigger wire, etc.,
then you're all set.

Another approach: If you drive the motor from a constant current source,
then, by definition, you're dissipating the same power all the time.

For AC motors, it depends on the type of motor.. Some motors can be stalled
indefinitely without damage, because the effective inductance of the
windings limits the current.  Also, just as for DC motors, you can build an
AC motor that is overdesigned (thermally) enough to tolerate the stall
current.  Many basic PSC (permanent split capacitor) motors (they are
essentially a two phase motor, with a capacitor to generate the second
phase), which is reversible,  are designed for indefinite stall time. And,
of course, if you drive an AC motor from a current limited source, then that
would solve the problem as well.