[TowerTalk] screw-in guy anchors, was Could this happen to you

Doug Renwick VE5RA at sasktel.net
Tue Mar 4 09:45:04 EST 2003

I can't believe how many "bleeding heart" hams there are who have come
to the defense of this guy who has done a "dumb" action with regards to
guying a 150 ft tower with mobil home tie down anchors.  I have done a few
dumb things with my towers all due to taking short cuts or rushing.  I do
not ever want to forget them as they will guide me to being very careful in
the future.  We are talking about actions that can have an impact on the lives
of ourselves and others - it is not in the same category as making a mistake
soldering on a circuit board.  To trivialize this poor construction practice
is to condone it.  I remember viewing a 100 ft tower on a city lot where the
ham had wrapped the guy wire just around the tower leg and used only one
wire rope clip with a very short tail to secure it - that was dumb practice!
Remember "But for the grace of God there go I."

Doug
-
Doug Renwick VA5DX
PO Box 50, Clavet, Saskatchewan, Canada S0K 0Y0
VE5RA at sasktel.net
First VE5 9Band DXCC
What profit it a ham if he gains all the awards yet forfeits his soul?
I'll run the race and I will never be the same again.