[TowerTalk] vertical dipole for 3.8 MHZ

Van Fair vfair at innova.net
Thu Mar 6 12:56:37 EST 2003

Anyone have any experience with a vertical dipole for 75 meters.  I can hang a vertical wire off my tower from 66 feet and feed it at any point. The problem is that this is too short on 3.8 MHZ.  I can put an extra 28 or so feet horizontally at the top and bottom in a Z or C arrangement to make it a full half wave but is there a better way? I would prefer to feed with coax and a balun.  Ground wires are out of the question so if I am to have a vertical I think it probably must be a dipole.   Would a short dipole with loading coils in each side suspended vertically be any better than one with partially horizontal elements. ANY THOUGHTS??