[TowerTalk] Effect of feedline on apparent resonance

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Mon Mar 10 08:40:59 EST 2003

At 06:24 AM 3/10/03 -0600, w5ah wrote:
>from your comment below, I presume you mean the frequency with the
>best SWR went
>up.   SWR has nothing to do with antenna resonance.

Yes, that's exactly why I said "apparent resonance."

I have an MFJ259B, and have used it to check the VF.  It comes in right at
.72.  The cable is made for the Wireman, and their other specs appear to be
very close to standard RG-8X, except that they use a polyethylene
dielectric and a tougher jacket.

I've pretty well satisfied myself, though fiddling with TLW, that what I
need to do is trim the cable enough so that its reactance as an open stub
is the same as that of the original Belden.  At that point its resistance
will also be very close, so within the limits of my ability to measure
things I should be back where I was.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 23 Feb 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm