[TowerTalk] Identifying ferrite core material

Scott Townley nx7u at cox.net
Fri Mar 14 11:32:32 EST 2003

If you have an antenna analyzer like the Autek VA-1 that reads R and jX, it's pretty straightforward.
Loop a single (insulated) wire through the center of the ferrite and connect it to the antenna analyzer (usually easiest to do this via a UHF panel connector).  Adjust frequency until R=X.
Mix 33~10MHz
Mix 43~20-25MHz
Mix 61~50-70MHz

or so.  More exact info can be had by inspecting charts of R and X vs. frequency from any ferrite manufacturer, since those quantities are typically measured for one turn (one wire pass through the center).  Fair-rite Corp. has very extensive technical information with their online catalog.

Of course, any other vector impedance device will work fine as well.