[TowerTalk] "Growing" a universal tower...`

Louis Sica, Jr. lsica at attbi.com
Sat Mar 15 19:03:57 EST 2003

I currently have a Universal 16-50 (16 sq ft @ 80 MPH, 50 ft high) with
about 10 sq ft of antenna on top of it (Tennadyne T8 =8, plus 1 for mast,
plus 1 for coax/sloper/VHF vertical). My question is, without having to
replace the 26 inch bottom section with a larger 30 inch bottom section, is
there any way to add sections, to "grow" the existing tower and still have
it safely handle the 10 sq foot antenna load? YES, I know I'm ultimately
going to have to get engineering drawings done for the town (Universal does
not have any such tower pre-designed already), but I'm looking for some
general input to see if it's even worth the cost to get the drawings done in
the first place.