[TowerTalk] DeoxIT questions

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Tue Mar 18 23:27:00 EST 2003

In a message dated 3/18/03 10:44:08 AM Pacific Standard Time,
k5uj at hotmail.com writes:

> I'm about to put together a yagi for 2 meters & want to do it right.  All
>  you experts advise using DeoxIT on the aluminum contact points.  I have a
>  few questions:  The Caig company vends DeoxIT applicators as an aerosol
>  spray, wipes, pen applicator, syringe, brush, needle, and squeeze tube,
and
>  packages in bottles and drums.  Which package and application method do
you
>  prefer?  (I don't imagine you buy the 55 gal. drum hi.)  Do you order
yours
>  direct from Caig or some other supplier?  If not Caig, who is your vendor?

>  Do you purchase a dilution, or 100% product?  Finally, do you use caig
>  PreservIT as a sealant?  See below for product choices:
>
>  DeoxIT Container Sizes
>
>  Part No Type Size Specs Codes

Hi, Rob --

    Are you an engineer? No need to over-think anti-oxidants. Just get one
that's compatible with the materials you'll be working with and you'll be all
set.

    I guess my real question is where are you going to use an anti-oxidant on
a 2M yagi? The one's I've seen have aluminum rod elements. Since you'd want
to use an anti-oxidant where you have an electrical joint (like an HF beam
element made of several telescoping sizes of aluminum tubing), there wouldn't
much occasion to use anti-oxidant anywhere else except maybe at the
feedpoint.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH