[TowerTalk] Homebrew Tuner Thoughts Needed

Guy Olinger olinger at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 21 01:18:07 EST 2003

Tuning it down to nothing does not necessarily mean better
performance. For some of the tuners, particularly some of the smaller
ones, no reflected power may mean that the swr is being eliminated by
converting the reflected power to heat.

QST published a review of some of the larger tuners, with some
surprisingly bad efficiency figures (as in losing half the power under
some circumstances). I don't remember the issue, but it was in the
last several months. I think you will find them interesting reading.

What I don't have from your posts is the kind, power level, and
frequencies of your matching needs. Or why you felt it necessary to
change the original tuner in the first place.

73, Guy.