[TowerTalk] mechanical construction of 80m vertical

Eric Scace K3NA eric at K3NA.ORG
Fri Mar 21 19:28:09 EST 2003

Chris --

   I think you were originally looking to do a 20m high vertical (i.e., quarter-wave on 80m).  My observations about your ideas:

   Electrical conduit is a relatively soft steel not designed for structural purposes over a significant distance.  It's cheaper
than high strength steels because it doesn't have to be structurally strong over distance.

   Welding steel with galvanizing requires removal of the galvanizing (it forms a poisonous vapor otherwise).  The piece, after
welding, will have to be completely regalvanized.  That means transporting a 20m piece of material to a facility with a 20m+ etching
and hot-dip galvanizing bath.  This will be expensive.  If one just paints the welds, the interior will be unpainted and will rust
from the inside out.  It's condition will not be inspectable and failure will be sudden.  (This is why tower parts come in
sections.)

   A steel vertical will be enormously heavy and require additional care to erect from a horizontal to vertical position.  Raising a
vertical (while it is usually without guys) typically is one of the most stressful operations that can easily cause the tube to kink
and collapse.

   To get adequate structural strength, a steel vertical will look like a tower.  A single pipe will be more expensive for the same
strength as a tower section and, because it is a custom piece of work, much more expensive than tower sections.

   Plastic pipe is not welded but glued.  The glue will not be the weak point in a chain of plastic pipe.  Again, a great deal of
care will be required in lifting a plastic vertical as it will be very flimsy and likely to crack.  Plastic pipe is not designed to
be a structural material over great distances.  One could envision a "plastic tower" that might have structural strength, but the
material costs will exceed those of a normal steel tower.

   People use aluminum tubing because:
   a) it is both strong and fairly stiff compared to its weight and cost, especially if appropriate types of aluminum mix are
chosen.
   b) it is relatively easy to work with.
   c) it holds up well to the environment with relatively little maintenance.
   d) it has a very low electrical skin resistance, helping to keep losses to a minimum.

   All of the alternative materials that you have mentioned fall short against (a) through (d) in one or more ways.

-- Eric K3NA