[TowerTalk] re tower permits

Howard Klein howk2 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 30 22:26:27 EST 2003

At one of my previous QTH's known for its very restrictive zoning laws I
ended up in the New York State Supreme court where I lost my bid for a tower
permit. A short time later I elmered one of the town board members to his
ham license and lo and behold I got the permit. When I moved to a new
community with restrictions in Florida I ran for and was elected to the
community board. Got the antenna again. There ARE ways around restrictions.
I must admit all this becomes tiring. My current QTH is in a rural community
that has no tower restrictions.
Howard..K2HK

----Original Message Follows---- From: dan bookwalter n8dcj at yahoo.com
"The thing that really grinds me about this is I try to do it the right way
and then take a drive around the city and find CBers and other hams who just
said "ta hell with the law" and just stick up the towers without a permit."
when i first was licensed in 1978 my dad had a friend who was a ham and on
city council who told me NOT to try for a permit and put the darn thing
up....
the reason....
he tried to go about it the correct way and after 2 years waiting for a
judgement, either way ,he couldnt get anyone to move on it.. so, he ran for
and was elected to city council and pushed his tower permit through...
so i took his advice...
Dan N8DCJ
--- kce kce at chartermi.net wrote:  We used to have a ham on the city council
here and  while in office he made  sure the city never had a tower law for
ham  operators. About 10 years ago I  went to apply for a permit and found
out the city  (and catv co.) had  rewritten the law to read towers shall not
be so  tall as to fall out of the  property lines in event of failure. In
other words  that means about 30 ft  tall max counting antenna. The building
official at  the time found a gray  area loophole. The site where I was
erecting the  tower also had my small  remote office in it. The law had a
clause that it  did not apply to any  commercial use towers. So bingo I was
issued a  permit for a tower with a max  height of 135 feet. The tower sits
12 feet from the  property line. I was  thinking I would really like to
relocate the tower  to the center of the  backyard, So talking to the new
building official I  find out no more  commercial use loophole, But was told
If I paid $475  for a variance I was  sure to get the permit. I told him to
stuff it and I  would keep the tower  located where it was. The thing that
really grinds  me about this is I try to  do it the right way and then take
a drive around the  city and find CBers and  other hams who just said "ta
hell with the law" and  just stick up the towers  without a permit. I then
find out that the city  seldom ever takes the  offenders to court. I guess
the laws are really  written for other people.  ken w8ob