[TowerTalk] idea(l?) hamshack

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 31 17:53:52 EST 2003

I'm not so sure it is an off topic question.  It seems to me that he is
constructing a site with a shack (read vault) near his antenna.  For that
reason, grounding of the building and tower combination with a single point
entrance become important and I think these are Tower Talk issues.  To the
questioner, I would survey if possible a commercial site where there is a
tower and equipment vault and learn from what the pros do when building a
site designed for communications only.  It will most likely have a single
point entrance for everything, a buried perimeter ground with a grounded
cable tray to the tower.  If I were building from scratch, I'd certainly
have the earth around the vault plowed, a trench dug and a perim. ground put
in that included the tower ground, all bonded to an entrance bulkhead.  Then
I'd put gravel down over what's been plowed for drainage.  Most hams have to
make do with buildings not designed for communications (our homes).  You
have the chance to do everything right from the ground up (yeah, it was a
pun).  Go look at a commercial site to get some ideas.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ
k5uj at hotmail.com