[TowerTalk] Ground Rod Driver

Lee Buller k0wa at swbell.net
Fri May 9 15:15:37 EDT 2003

Dale's method of using water has worked for me all every time.  I use no hammer at all.  Just a divit in the ground...a gallon of water...and a vice-grips to hold on to the ground rod when you get it 7-8' in the ground.  I have put in dozens ground rods in this manner.  Just keep tamping down the rod....pull it out...pour more water in the hold...and continue.  I've also used salt-brine as well....using ground up rock salt in the water.  After 24 hours, the rod cannot be pulled up without using considerable force.  For FD, I use this method and then use an old car bumper-jack with my vice-grips and a chain to remove them in about 10 minutes.

Lee = K0WA

Dale L Martin <kg5u at hal-pc.org> wrote:
I suppose it depends on what you are sinking the rod into.

Here in the millions of years old sea bed region that is the Gulf Coast of
Texas, it's pretty easy to sink a rod one of two ways:

1. Take a gallon of water. Dig a small hole with a trowel, about 2-3"dia x
4"deep. Pour a bit of water into it. Work the rod into the wet gumbo.
Keep working it and adding a bit of water. Before you know it, you are down
7 or more feet.

2. Take an old paint can, a pipe t-fitting, a 2-foot length of 1" pipe and
some sakrete. Mix up the sakrete in the paint can to just at the brim.
Sink the pipe with t-fitting into the wet sakrete but not all the way to the
bottom of the can and let it set up. Putting a ground rod into the ground
with this method was pretty easy. Not as easy as the water method, but lots
better than hitting the top of the rod with a sledge.

73,
dale, kg5u