[TowerTalk] Ground Rod Driver

Lee Buller k0wa at swbell.net
Fri May 9 22:01:30 EDT 2003

It takes about 15 minutes or so.  The water uses capillary action to move
water lower and lower in the hole.  I have gone through a layer of shale or
limestone.  It took a little longer, but you keep dropping the rod in the
hole...and the shale or limestone does shatter.  I just keep a poking
motion going with the ground rod...bringing it up about a foot and then
stabbing it down the hole again.  They use to dig wells using this same
action.  Dropping a heavy lead ingot down the same hole....then hauling it
out...and dropping it again.  They use water to moisten the hole.  I think
the technique is good for 50 feet or so.  If you have granite....good
luck...it isn't going to work.

Lee - K0WA