[TowerTalk] 20M Gap Titan very Early results

Dinsterdog at aol.com Dinsterdog at aol.com
Sun May 11 11:35:30 EDT 2003

Well,

It's is up in the air, on a 12 foot mast sunk 4 feet in  concrete sticking
above ground 8 feet-

On 20M....Testing it compared to a Hustler 6BTV and Cushcraft MA5V as a
reference.  Results vary as many predicted.  On receive, by as much as
nothing or up to 2 S-units, typically in favor of the MA5V which averaged at
least a S unit louder with less noise in the back ground. A nice combo-

All seem to do pretty well over-all in transmit, but something is different
between them for at times, they would jockey around for the best rx and/or tx
signal reports.  Of note, the Hustler 6BTV was way down compared to either of
them by at least 2 S units on average but had it's moments of equality.
(hint, for 20M, take the MA5V if you don't run an amp....)

Conclusion, thus far, my laid back multiband vertical test has been fun but
should not be taken too seriously. For 20M, the MA5V over-all did better, but
can't handle more than  250 watts and has about 70KHz of bandwidth.  It is
also made of poor cheesy craftsmanship easy to fix if you have some antenna
experience.  Is it high Q or what?

Personally,  I'll take the Titan for 20M....I like the use of the entire band
without a tuner and I like using an amp when needed.  Both the MA5V (70KHz
2:1 BW)and 6BTV (200KHz 2:1 BW)  need a tuner to cover the entire band.  But
the neighbors hate it- it looks like a Mar's Lander device but I just love
the look myself-

As I make progress, I'llreport more- these were first night/day results and
thus far, the Gap is doing well- Not a barn burner, but well and has it's
advantages.   I think the Eham reviews are a bit high but compared to nothing
else sitting in the yard for comparisions, I can see how many hams would give
this thing a five.  I'm just at 4 for now- You just can't let a little MA5V
smoke you on RX man!  All for grins eh?!

73  Paul  N0AH-