[TowerTalk] tower height increse.

Robert Peterson - W3YY w3yy at cox.net
Sun May 11 16:12:28 EDT 2003

Jim -

I too am intrigued with the idea of modeling terrain.  I think it's a
critical issue.  If not flat, the land surrounding an antenna can have a
profound effect on the take off angle and effective height of an HF antenna.

About 20 years ago, as a younger engineer, I developed a program for
evaluating this effect and modeled the topography from my QTH along several
important paths.  The results were very intriguing.  They suggested that
some relatively low antennas would out perform higher antennas in many
cases.

Unfortunately, other life activities took precedence and I never implemented
any of the designs.  Now, with a little extra time (although not much), I
have dusted off the old code and started looking into this again.

Sounds like Pete is very much aware of the terrain issue and has also either
developed tools or found existing ones to do the analysis.

73, Bob - W3YY