[TowerTalk] Base for Wilson MT-61/US Tower MA-550

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Tue May 20 06:21:20 EDT 2003

Our club recently acquired an old Wilson MT-61 tubular tower
from an SK's estate. My friend was thinking of putting it up
at his QTH in "house bracket" configuration, but needs to
get some specifications for the proper concrete base design.
In looking thru the TT archives, it seems that the MT-61 is
very similar to the US Tower MA-550. Unfortunately, the
US Tower catalog only shows one concrete base specification
for the MA-550 which appears to be the one recommended
for free standing installations (no house bracket). Both my friend
and I are thinking that this base would be overkill for a house
bracket installation where the base mainly serves to provide
vertical support and some side load, but very little overturning
moment support.

Any suggestions on an appropriate base for a house bracket
installation of this tower would be appreciated.