[TowerTalk] Grounding and Insurance WD4K

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu May 22 15:37:08 EDT 2003

At 04:08 PM 5/22/2003 -0400, Jerry Keller wrote:
>I called my insurance company today and was told that all my ham equipment
>including my antennas are covered as personal property, same as TV sets,
>VCRs, and other electronic equipment, against theft, lightning, windstorm,
>and all the other perils that personal property is covered for. The tower is
>covered as an additional structure. I specifically asked about special
>schedules and limits and was very clearly told (by the underwriter himself)
>there is no requirement for special schedules for electronic equipment, and
>no exclusion for communications equipment, amateur radio, etc. I also asked
>about grounding systems, and he said that, for insurance purposes, my ground
>system just has to comply with the electrical code. The limit on personal
>property is 75% of the overall dwelling coverage... far more than what I
>have here... which seems to cover just about everything.  It would appear
>that, at least here in PA, I wouldn't need any coverage other than my normal
>homeowner's policy. Or am I missing something here?
>Jerry K3BZ

The "standard coverage" varies a lot from locality to locality, and from 
time to time, depending on the "perception of risk" and loss exposure of 
the insurance company. I'd venture to say that in Southern California, the 
underwriter would feel pretty comfortable about covering losses due to 
tornado, but would draw the line at earthquakes.  That list of "covered 
perils" is grist for many mills...

Jim W6RMK 

More information about the TowerTalk mailing list