[TowerTalk] coax ID help

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Wed May 28 23:32:00 EDT 2003

This sounds like some kind of 0.500 inch CATV cable. The steel wire
is a messenger that is used to provide mechanical support when the
cable is hung above ground between utility poles. It is probably a 75
ohm cable. Are you absolutely sure the dielectric is solid and not a
foamed type? CATV cables typically use a foamed polyethylene
dielectric because the foamed dielectric will have lower loss than solid

73 de Mike, W4EF......................................................

> 2. One roll of cable with no markings at all. It appears to be a .500"
> cable, with solid aluminum center conductor, solid dielectric, and
a -solid-
> aluminum shield. The odd thing is that it is 'paired' with what seems to
> a steel wire in a single plastic jacket - the steel wire is offset .3-.5"
> from the coax - it kinda looks like twinlead, but one of the leads is on
> steroids...;-) This cable has also been out in the elements for some
> of time. Any idea what it is and if it would be useful to someone?
> thanks very much for your help! - 73 - jeff wk6i
> --
> Jeff Stai               jds at twistedoak.com
> Twisted Oak Winery      http://www.twistedoak.com/
> Rocketry Org. of CA     http://www.rocstock.org/
> Amateur Radio           WK6I
> _______________________________________________
> See: http://www.mscomputer.com  for "Self Supporting Towers", "Wireless
Weather Stations", and lot's more.  Call Toll Free, 1-800-333-9041 with any
questions and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.
> _______________________________________________
> TowerTalk mailing list
> TowerTalk at contesting.com
> http://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/towertalk

More information about the TowerTalk mailing list