[TowerTalk] Re: Rotor control line swithcing

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Nov 3 20:00:03 EST 2003

Perhaps my point of view is different since I look to keep to a minimum
things that could break... when I operate I like to operate... the more
switches and remote apparatus you have the more things you have that can
fail - perhaps this is born from being in FL for about 25 years now
where lightning is a given and components outside the shack are
especially vulnerable.

If you wanted to control two rotators with a remote switchbox you would
need to control that switchbox so you need some sort of cabling no
matter what... if you have a second run of rotor control cable - which
for Ham-? rotors is inexpensively done with two runs of housewiring from
a home center! You probably can avoid those sleepless nights before
radio contests wondering what will be broken at 00 Zulu.

And of course, you are not using more than one radio at a time at your
QTH, Rick... if you want to do the SO2R or multi-single or multi-multi
operations you HAVE to have independant feedlines... also, I wish I had
your wallet and could afford to pay what you are quoting as pricing for
feedline - $2.50 a foot! OUCH!!!!!!!  Are you operating up in the UHF
and VHF spectrum - I am stricly HF and cannot imagine paying that kind
of money for feedline!

As far as that run of feedline gone bad - wouldn't that REALLY suck if
it was your common feedline going to your remote switchmaster?

I just bought a spool of LMR400 off e-bay and including freight it was
40 cents a foot... fortunately I am also a scrounger and have friends
who keep their eyes and ears open for commercial feedline replacement
"drop" pieces...

For almost 10 years I used 70 ohm CATV hardline drops (free) as my
feedlines to the base of the towers (4) and have just this
Summer began replacing them.

But, if you want to be a remote switch kinda guy go for it - for my
style of operating where I demand reliability the KISS rule ALWAYS wins
out - less tuff to break means less stuff is broken....

Your mileage may vary! What's your call and QTH, Rick?

Jim, K4OJ