[TowerTalk] Covert Mast and Yagi

froggy at awaforums.com froggy at awaforums.com
Thu Nov 6 16:36:22 EST 2003

Here's a challenging question (at least challenging for me). I
currently live in a covenant restricted community that doesn't allow
antennas. Since I have trees around the house, I realize that it is
not difficult to set up a dipole, or two, or three. What I'm curious
about is whether one could setup a mast of some sort that could be
extended at night with a yagi (or similar) antenna at its top. I have
a dogpen (no dog) at the side of the house that has sides six feet
high (chain link with plastic strips to hide the inside from view)
with  internal dimensions of 12'X12'. I have had musings about
possibly "landing" the antenna in the dogpen before the sun comes up.
Otherwise, the whole project gets turned into a "pumpkin".

Force 12 has some interesting extendable masts on their website. Are
there other masts that extend to a workable level, and still collapse
to the six foot level I need to hide the antenna during the day? Am I
smokin' crack on this one, or are there directional antennas that
could could fit into my dogpen dimensions when retracted.

If nothing else, it's a thought exercise. I just don't have the
background to figure out if it's even possible with off the shelf
hardware.

Regards!

Mark